The Salvation Army endeavors to bring spiritual light and love to our cherished senior population by providing a listening ear, a caring heart and a helping hand. We strive to ease the loneliness and isolation that envelop many in their twilight years.
The Salvation Army offers monthly programs for senior citizens at each of the eight Corps Community Centers, including: social, volunteer and worship groups. For a complete list and schedule, contact the corps in your area. In addition, the following are city facilities and services offered exclusively for seniors.
- Booth Manor in Grandview is a seven-story high-rise that provides affordable housing in a stimulating environment for seniors who are capable of independent living. Rent is based on income.
For more information, please call 816.966.8300..
- Booth Manor in Kansas City, Kansas: These 35 ranch-style apartments also offer seniors who are capable of independent living safe and affordable housing. In addition, it allows them to be part of an organized community.
For more information, please call 913.299.4822.
- Senior Camp: This week of fun is held each summer and allows senior citizens to engage in many of the same exciting activities that younger campers experience, such as, swimming, crafts, fellowship, cookouts, Bible Study and field trips.
- Telephone Reassurance: This program puts volunteers in touch with homebound or elderly folks who have no one to look after them. Phone calls are made in extreme heat and cold to ensures that all is well. Follow-ups are made as necessary.
- Dial-A-Ride: An invaluable service offered to handicapped and elderly in the area, unable to drive. The van takes people on trips to the doctor, shopping and other necessary errands.
For more information, please call 816.966.8300.
- Holiday Meals: Thanksgiving and Christmas meals are delivered to seniors who are shut-in.